Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:27:14 +0100

Roger wrote:

> My big question is not whether any of these facts are
> in dispute or not. It's with the crumbling of Russia,
> what are these guys doing now? I mean, if all that's
> on their resume is working for the KGB, where do they
> go for a new job?--

Well, one of them has recently been elected president. Lots of others have entered politics, the
private security business, other "business" etc. You can see them (or, more often, their wives
or mistresses) shopping in places like the shops at Helsinki airport (I was there last night),
paying for their purchases with thick wads of dollar or DM bills--credit cards are not their
thing, not discreet enough.

Finally, let us not forget that although Communism has collapsed, Russia is still a big country
with an authoritarian tradition and most of the ex-Soviet spooks are doing exactly the same job
today as they did 10 years ago.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland