Subject: Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat
From: Dave Hillman <daveh@hillmanimages.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:54:49 -0700

On Thursday 19 July 2001 08:15 pm, you wrote:
> Dave, the pictures in your Cambodia portfolio are beautiful; you

Thank you very much.

> obviously know what you're doing. Your pictures are effectively framed,
> and cropped. Please tell us how you think about it - it surely is not
> simply the shape of the easel.

The reason the question came up for me was my surprise that someone would
nearly always print full frame. I nearly always crop to please my eye - this
might be called my sense of composition, though I've not had any real
training or criticism of my work that would hone real composition skills.
(Surely composition is more than 'throw away this junk on the edge that
doesn't add to the picture').

As far as standard aspect ratios (5x7, 9x10), I lean to these choices because
you can buy standard mattes cut to those dimensions.  A liberating addition
might be a matte knife, but I have no experience in their use.

> FWIW, I tend not to crop. Maybe laziness. I generally frame the picture
> to make use of the format. My Hasselblad pictures are almost all square.

Interesting.  My old Hasselblad pictures tended to the square.  I printed one
of those last week, forcing it to 8x10.  It would have been better square.

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat)
Message from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat)
Message from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat)