Subject: Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat
From: Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:37:20 -0400

Dave, here are other reasons (besides laziness) that I tend to print
full frame. If it is a subject over which I have some control, as studio
Hasselblad shots, that do not need to be a special dimension (say to fit
a magazine page), I tend to adjust the subject to make best use of the
space in the finder. So with the Hasselblad I have learned to make
effective use of the square format.

It is a goal not to have to crop 35 mm, but to make full use of an
already small negative. With my M6 I have learned to adjust the
placement in the frame (and the ability to see outside the frame is a
help here) to make use of the format, and do it almost unconsciously
most of the time.

Often the black border serves to frame a picture that otherwise would
have white bleeding onto a white surround, and make it stronger.

Finally, I like to present photographs of a given theme in a series or
portfolios, and uniformity of paper, size, format helps the effect.

Jesse Hellman
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Message from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat)
Message from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Fresh Meat)