Subject: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:03:00 -0800

So I guess Leica designed and is producing, in house, the new 21-35 zoom
for nothing.

Makes sense.

BTW, PMA is a somewhat low level show. I went to and worked at PMA for many
many years. It became a minilab show when minilab's were the rage. Now it's
a digital show. Booth space cost is w-a-y  w-a-y out of sight!!! Bringing
out a great piece of photographic gear at PMA is sort of an anit-climax
when the show is overrun with digital stuff. I personally would go to PMA
only if it were held right here, in San Francisco. I would not travel to
Vegas or LA to see it. Both are roughly an hour flight from here.

Photokina is where real photography announcements happen. Since the M7 was
ready, no harm in bringing it out at PMA. But I believe that Photokina will
show Leica's other hand.

There seem to be a lot of folks out there that buy and use Leica on one
hand, and trash Leica on the other. That makes no sense.

BTW, I have an R7 and an R8, a gaggle of lenses, M3, M6x2, etc. I use them
all. and I think Leica is doing a great job. The M7 seems to be the right
mix of old and new. Familiar with a little sophistication.

The R8 is great for changing/moving subjects using the matrix meter. The R7
is like putting on an old comfortable pair of shoes. Tripod. Manual mode.
Stop and think.

Jim

Message from Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Pondering an R8)