Subject: Re: [Leica] Movie Tri-X
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 16:38:40 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Hey, Rob, I didn't say I'd never see it...I'm just not going to rush out to
> it this weekend...speaking of Shirley Valentine - and I'm not quite sure
> what the connection is - last night for the first time, while trapped in a
> hotel, I finally saw about half of The Truth About Cats and Dogs...which
> turned out to be quite cute....;-)
> B. D.

Shirley Valentine was ported over to film from a very successful stage presentation.
It was a smash with both the critics and the public as a film AND a play.
It concerns itself with the life and problems of a middle to later aged women.
	Not a common theme in the movies.
The actress who played this seemed born for it. She did win an academy
award for it like she won the Tony for it on Broadway.
Supported by luminaries Tom Conti, Alison Steadman, Joanna Lumley. It
just don't come much better then this.
This film had tears rolling down my face. I hate to see it put down.
It was a sensation. It needs to be seen before it is judged.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

By the way the British Society of Cinematographers gave it best cinematography.
And both the actress and the film won the Golden Globes.