Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:09:04 +0100

Hi Ted,

Thanks for looking and the advice. Some specific points:

> Oh dear me eating was one of the best times of the '92 Summer Olympics in
> Barcelona, even if it was some time between 11pm and 3 a.m.! ;-) As you can
> see the times, it was never what we might call "normal dinner hours" in
> Canada but always after we'd filed our pictures on the wire.

In Seville, normal meal times are: coffee when you wake up, light breakfast
around 11 a.m., lunch between 2 and 4 p.m., dinner around 10 p.m. This does
cause some problems for visiting Northern Europeans and even Portuguese (who,
even though they are neighbours of Spain, keep to much more "normal" meal
times).

> Interesting coverage Nathan. A small suggestion to avoid the greenie look.
> See if you can find gelatin 30 magenta filters, Kodak make them in several
> sizes, but about 3" square is what you're looking for. Then cut them to fit
> your lens and it'll pretty well get rid of the green fluorescent look.
>
> And if there's a mixture of lighting even with daylight don't worry about it
> as the eye accepts "warm look" much easier than a sickly green. #0 magenta
> is about the normal however I had a set of 20's also just in case.
>
> Failing the gelatin filter material look for FLD glass filters and you're
> away to the races anytime you shoot under fluorescent lighting, screw it
> onto the lens and generally the shot comes out with clean non-green look.

Thanks for the advice--I used to have an FLD filter a long time ago. With the
light-travel outfit I use for these trips (two CL's, one loaded with B&W, the
other with colour slide film), I tend to minimize equipment, maybe too much in
this case. Also, the light levels were already pretty low--I think the picture
at the bar was taken at f2 1/30 or something linke that--so losing another
couple of stops due to the filter would have made things difficult. I think the
solution should have been to shoot these pictures with B&W instead of Provia
400F, or to bite the bullet and learn to make colour corrections properly in
Photoshop.

Cheers,
Nathan

- --