Subject: [Leica] FOOD
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:23:13 -0500

At 01:20 PM 11/9/03 -0500, Tina Manley wrote:
>Come back home, Kit!  We still have farmers' markets and produce stands in
>South Carolina.  I bought collard greens, sweet potatoes, and acorn squash
>from farmers yesterday.  I don't buy tomatoes, peppers and eggplants
>because I grow them in the back yard, but we have fresh produce available
>year-round on the side of most country roads.  It's good eatin!

Tina

Squash you may have and, pray, take my portion with blessings!  This is
insipid garbage to my beef- and pork- tuned tastebuds.  But the ability to
purchase locally grown tomatoes and melons and potatoes and so forth makes
life in Roanoke, Virginia, a sweeet thing, along with locally grown apples
and apple butter and cider -- on occasion we can get the REAL unpasturized
stuff, if you buy beneath the table.  And we have lots of pork and beef
grown locally, fron Black Angus steaks freshly cut to hams and bacon cured
in many ways and available to your order.

I am getting a-hungered thinking about this! But, pray, spare me the
squash, yams, and the like.  (To be honest, I can do justice to a sweet
potatoe laden with butter, salt, and pepper and, perhaps, a touch of lemon
freshly squeezed.)

Incidentally, the Roanoke Farmers' Market has been in continuous service
since 1882.  We never lost it, so we never had to re-invent the wheel.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] FOOD)