Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced
From: Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:56:01 -0500

Precisely.   My experience with these p/s style cameras is that the results
are all essentially the same.  When one model's output appears to be
sharper, or have less noise than their competitors, it is usually because
they do intrenal processing in the camera to try and fix these "defects",
but personally, I'd rather to the repairs myself in Photoshop or some other
image processing software.  There are other image factors such as colour
fringing which appears in some models but not in others which might be
important to some people.   But the limitations of these small chips are
common to all of the cameras using them.   My biggest complaint, and the
reason I still use film cameras, is their inability to allow for shallow
DOF.

Other issues important to me are operational factors such as autofocus
accuracy and speed (terrible in my Minolta D7, but good in the Leica D1,
for example).   All the talk of the D2 concerns it's manual operation.
But for that kind of camera, AF performance is still an important factor to
consider (it isn't immediately clear to me if the camera offers, AF, but it
must!).  Also, is the manual focus real, or focus by wire?

- -dan c.