Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:09:23 -0500

Go pack the 400 Telyt, Tina! After the messages from our Luggers who know,
there was no need for me to speak with Ernst Hartmann who called back anyway
to confirm that filters are not designed into the optical formula of the
400.

On the other UV filter front, this autumn I had the opportunity to test some
lenses at a wonderful company in Cambridge Mass. called Optikos (I think it
was our own B.D. who put me on to them). They own the EROS machines that
test for MTF contrast and resolution. Roy Youman, the optics man who did the
tests, had just returned from installing three of these machines in China. I
think Doug had it exactly right when he wrote:

"In backlit situations, the additional 2 air/glass surfaces will clearly
make
themselves known, and under other lighting conditions they can cause
additional flare too (though you might not notice it w/o controlled tests)."

At Optikos during the MTF test of a 7-glass 50/2 Rigid Summicron, I stuck on
an E39 UV filter. The read-outs on-axis at f/5,6 at all frequencies through
40 lp/mm with and without filter were identical. That said, Roy confirmed
that with a light source within the image area there would be degradation of
the image produced at the film plane. Now Ted, please don't get p--sed off
at me; I know that what matters is what you do with equipment. And I do.
It's just part of my fun to see if the machines agree with what my eye sees.

My own experience: I frequently, but not always, fit a UV filter for normal
outdoor street photography, landscape where I'm not looking at contre-jour
light, and have never noticed any ill effect. Indoor available light
shooting, never.

Have a great trip, Tina, and a happy Christmas and New Year to all.

Seth                    LaK 9

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question)