Subject: [Leica] SF Area Camera Stores... a Selected Review
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:53:19 -0800

We were in San Francisco this past week.  Without supervision for most of
the week, I got to several stores... My feedback on the stores...

Keeble + Shuact ( sp?) ... A nice store, lots of new "stuff" and a well
equipped darkroom department, but I was treated like I was in NYC at B+H
camera... If I was not going to buy the first thing they showed me, I was
not going to get the salesman's attention.  There were 2 of us in the store,
and 5 salesman.  Would I go back?  Not likely.

Adolph Gasser.... Low in any inventory of anything Leica.  LF was pretty
good, MF was better, but little Hassy stuff.  Mostly Japanese cameras in MF.
Another one to pass on.

Discount Camera.... OK the listed prices are pretty comical, but the owner,
a guy who claims to live in NJ, and commutes to SF to the store there, is
pretty easy to work with.  His inventory is excellent on almost any used
Leica or Hassy items ( I did not check on others). As long as you work with
someone who knows what the value of stuff really is, you can do well here.
If you try to deal with the average salesman, you will not be taking
anything home.  I would visit again.....

Thanks for all the great leads.. it is always nice to know ahead of time
what might be uncovered....

A final comment..... for those of you going to LA and SF, Samys camera is
the best of the stores I have visited on the West Coast over the years.
Good inventory of new or used, prices moderately high to very high ( they
keep on the lookout for the Yen based buyers).  But they have the stuff.
Second best is Pro Photo in Costa Mesa.  Better for used Nikon and MF of any
brand ( little to no Leica).  No new cameras.  Used only.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com> ([Leica] Re: SF Area Camera Stores... a Selected Review)
Reply from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] SF Area Camera Stores... a Selected Review)