Subject: [Leica] Some fun or fear of riducule in photo land
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Apr 26 21:52:46 2004

Sonny says: :-) to ted's comments:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Some fun or fear of riducule in photo land

ted said:
> to like.
> --------------------
Sonny says,
> Maybe, but sometimes, I shoot a note out to someone simply saying "I like
> it."  I don't usually post same to the whole list.   I don't think it is
> necessary for me to go into detail why I like a shot,  anymore than I have
> to explain to pretty Kathy why I enjoy a kiss.<<<<

ted:
I do the same thing lots of times, even when I'm looking at our local news
paper.."Damn that's good!" without any further thought why, simply because
"Damn I like that shot, it's good!"

But I think my original comment was pertaining to some work we see that,
honestly how anyone can like it is beyond me. However, I suppose it's "in
the eyes of the beholder" what works and what doesn't.

Sonny says:
> Sometimes a picture is not a great picture in a lot of ways, but something
> about it makes it "nice" to me.  I defend my right to vaguely compliment
> people, and as long as I don't overdo it.
>
> Two examples; Nathan and GeeBee. (there are others as well)  I rarely
> comment on-list to either of them about their work, but I never miss
looking
> at a posting.  Once in a blue moon, I'll drop a note, "love that
pic."<<<<<

ted says:
In the case of these two photographers they stand alone in the quality of
what they post. And my usual ... "Damn that's good!" fits perfectly because
one needs say nothing else simply because they produce damn fine
photography. :-)

But even with both of them, when I've said I liked a shot and included why I
like them or made a comment of what I thought might be a slight improvement,
both have responded with a thank you for my "extra comment."

In most cases one need not say anything extra, because quite frankly the two
of them consistantly fill the screen with very fine photography. To some
folks the "I like that" comment fits perfectly because there isn't much else
to say as the work is very good. And although it deserves more than an "I
like it!" It fits just fine.

Sonny said:
> As I said, there are several others. And if I don't send a note, that
> doesn't mean I don't like your work. <<<<,

ted says:
Of course, as each of us have other lives and even though I find I sit here
far too long some days, I too look at a lot of posted photography without
posting any comment. More often than not my comment is out loud to myself.
;-)

Actually we're probably more in tune with each other than what our words
indicate.:-)

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Some fun or fear of riducule in photo land)
Message from sonc at aol.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Some fun or fear of riducule in photo land)