Subject: [Leica] Some fun or fear of riducule in photo land
From: sonc at aol.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon Apr 26 20:55:19 2004

 Ted sez:
>>I agree absolutely, because grading tells the shooter nothing and could
very
>>well tick he or she off and they'd stop posting. If this space is being
made
>>available then comments are far greater than a grading number.
----------------------
The way this gallery is set up, the ticking of a vote just tells someone you
like their picture, and the rate by which you like it!
---------------
>>>By the same token from past experince, I do hope we don't get the
usual...
>>>"i like it!" without a comment of why the poster making the comment liked
>>>it.  Those kind of stupid one liner comments only point out the
commentator
>>>really doesn't have a clue why they like it, therefore the comment is
>>>worthless without one or two words indicating the good points of what's
>>like.
--------------------

Maybe, but sometimes, I shoot a note out to someone simply saying "I like
it."  I don't usually post same to the whole list.   I don't think it is
necessary for me to go into detail why I like a shot,  anymore than I have
to explain to pretty Kathy why I enjoy a kiss.

Sometimes a picture is not a great picture in a lot of ways, but something
about it makes it "nice" to me.  I defend my right to vaguely compliment
people, and as long as I don't overdo it.

Two examples; Nathan and GeeBee. (there are others as well)  I rarely
comment on-list to either of them about their work, but I never miss looking
at a posting.  Once in a blue moon, I'll drop a note, "love that pic."

As I said, there are several others. And if I don't send a note, that
doesn't mean I don't like your work.   I look at a lot of photography in a
day, I try not to miss anyone's posted PAW,  I am an active member of four
lists, and look at a couple others from time to time..  Lots of looking.

Bee Flowers chastises me for that, because he says it gets in the way of my
development.  That may be, but it then leaves little time for posting
comment on shots I find good.

It could be that if I cut down on my picture looking, and increase my
picture criticisms, I will become better developed!  Just some late night
musings.

Regards,

SonC
http://www.sonc.com