Subject: [Leica] Re: HCB dies
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Thu Aug 5 08:08:47 2004

Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

> miss him him?   Why?
>
> It's not as if he came over for dinner every
> thurday, is it? And he hasn't
> shot in years. Did he owe you money?
>
> Of course not.
>
> And anyway, if you miss a photographer as great as
> he when he dies, you miss
> the whole point of his career, which was to preserve
> for the future his vision
> of the world, his art, his meaning, his beliefs and
> dreams.
>
> I have a book of his work downstairs and look at it
> every time I need
> inspiration. May I suggest you do the same?
>
> You will never miss him then. He is still there.
>
> His era is far from dead, too. Why does everyone say
> that? What a stupid
> concept.
>
> Go take pictures. Look at life, look at people, quit
> worrying about which
> lens you have that has 8 elements and was made in
> midland, and start worrying
> where the damn thing is pointed. Quit looking at
> your lens and start looking at
> light, at people, at situations, at composition.
>
> >From what I can gather, that's all HCB did.

While your tone rubs me somehow the wrong way, I
agree, essentially, with your message.

HC-B is with us forever. Especially within this group
that is the LUG, in our best moments there's a bit of
Cartier-Bresson in all of us each time our eyes spot
an instant we recognize as photographic.

Even when this happens without our cameras ready, C-B
is there too, reproaching us.

So have a smile for immortal Henri. He's in a better
place than any of us now, slinking behind clouds to
snap the cherubs playing. The Big Boss is smiling too.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal