Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Thu Oct 7 14:43:28 2004

wrong again sorry .for the design limit you have to multiply the placard
number with the design loadfactors in a crash.
The human body can unfortunately survive higher loads then any component on
an aircraft something in the order of 40 g,s for a short time.
I think the cabin interior fails at 9 g,s in the fore and aft direction.
The problem is with the survivable crashes ditchings after take off etc.
were the longitudinal forces are not very high.
It is tragic that people are killed in accidents because of failing
overheads.
No you cannot strenghten the lot since you want to fly cheaply.If you had to
protect the engines against birds increase designload factors up to 55 g,s
you would not have enough passengers to operate.
I didn,t mean Schiphol but more new advanced airports like those new ones in
the near and far east their you find the taxfree entrance at the luggage
carousels.
It,s a huge undertaking to modify existing ones specially those that have
total seperation of arriving and departing passenger flows.
The fact that one takes risks or does illegal things does not automatically
mean that you will suffer an accident.
That is simple statistics.However by overloading the bins you put your
fellow travellers at risk .Think what happens when a structure with a mass
of 50 kg,s comes down with a weight of a ton or more.
Also in extreme turbulence the bin doors will fail and the objects become
deadly projectiles after accelerating down the ceiling for 30 meters or so.
It really happens.

Lets not debate this further