Subject: [Leica] Light, etc. Now: Homework assignment.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 2 08:06:12 2004

Kenneth Frazier said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Light, etc. Now: Homework assignment.

> Listers, I'm taking Ted up on the "assignment," and have a shot posted
> that was an attempt at shooting from the shadow side, and would like
> critique and comment.
>
> "light_test", made with M6, Summicron 50 DR.  I was trying to shoot from
> the shadow side, because I wanted to capture the feeling of the light
> coming through the windows.  However, the central subject is rather
> lost.  I am pretty sure I was metering accurately, but what I don't know
> is what the meter was reading....light from the windows?<<<<<<<<

> http://homepage.mac.com/kennybod/PhotoAlbum8.html

G'day Ken,
OK get ready. ;-)

1: You are not on the shadow side you are shooting where the subject is
completely back lit or at best hard side lighting with no light on the face
or front of the subject.

Actually as wrong as it could be in terms of shooting from the "shadow
side."

In effect she should have been hard turned to her left towards you and the
windows so the light coming in the windows was 3/4 lighting her front body
side. Turned so her right shoulder was almost 3/4's aimed at you. This is
what I mean about just looking at light until you recognize it and then you
make your exposure on whether the subject looks "light" interesting or you
consider it's going to make an interesting photograph.

Almost in reverse to how she's standing.  All your main light is coming from
the back and isn't the least bit beneficial to your picture angle. It's wait
until she moves and all you have to do is watch how the light is "lighting
her face and front body in a 3/4 angle." Or if this is someone you know and
can control, suggest a movement allowing the light to work for you instead
as it does here... "completely against you!"

And I saw someone suggested " flash fill!" Oh my gosh the worst thing one
can do simply because once you understand how light works for you in a store
situation like this, using flash is tantamount to treason when it comes to
working by the light available to work with.

Besides who the hell wants to shoot with a twnkie light when we're
unobtrusive photojournalists!

ted

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Light, etc. Now: Homework assignment.)
Reply from DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp) ([Leica] Light, etc. Now: Homework assignment.)