Subject: [Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Mon Nov 22 06:01:56 2004

bill harting wrote:

> Sure, set up a darkroom if you want to. You'll be committing yourself
> to many hours alone in the dark, and, if you're lucky, you'll receive
> satisfaction from creating unique photographs, and from the fact that
> you are practicing, successfully, an art many others have, and
> continue to practice (diminishing group that it may be).
>
> There will be plenty of time to scan your prints for reproduction,
> and, if you find working with computers agreeable, to learning and
> practicing the post-processing that is a part of digital photography.
> Plenty of equipment to mess around with in either case, and plenty of
> skills to master.
>
> For myself, I find the time I spend alone in the darkroom (with music
> or without) a gift of time away from the intensity of the world
> outside, where computers live.
>
> bill h
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard"
> <richard-lists@imagecraft.com>

SET IT UP! You'll either hate it, and quickly quit the field.... or
you'll love it, and then ask yourself why you even asked to begin with!
I continue mine- partly because I waited almost 20 years to get another
one in my house, and I ain't partin' with it! The other part is that I
don't think that silver prints will ever die. Why? I remember reading
that when Dauguerre, et al, popularized the photographic image, there
was an outcry that painting was dead! Art would never be the same- yada-
yada- yada.  Bullspit! I see more places selling artist supplies now
than I do selling darkroom stuff. There are still a dedicated group of
people out there making Dauguerrotypes- albeit they may be a bit brain
damaged from the mercury fumes, and a larger group of really dangerous
folk still doing wet plates- there seems to be a resurgeance! Do a web
search- even though they are retro to a fault, some actually have
websites! I also continue because you do find time for yourself- the Zen
of being one with the smell of the fixer, the beep of the timer, the act
of creation! ( IT' S ALIVE!)  :o)
I think that as long as there are museums out there showing the works of
the 'masters'- of photography, that is, there will be students of art
who try to emulate their heros! You still see painting students copying
the masters, or emulating their style. I for one would love to master
Karsh's form of portraits, and I am sure that for many years to come,
that there will be those who find that the silver-gelatin print has many
subtle differences that cannot be matched with digital. That's my two
cents worth!

Message from wharting at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?)