Subject: [Leica] First digital camera for my son?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Dec 6 10:16:05 2004

I would definitely urge you to go for digital for three reasons - First,
the instant feedback avoids the kidee delay-frustration problems, and
provides that instant magic and feedback that kids want; Second, seeing
the image immediately will undoubted help with learning - some of the
worst things kids do may be eliminated the first day after half-a-dozen
shots, rather than after a half-dozen rolls of film taken over how many
months; 3. Digital IS photography today. As much as you may love film
and your M7, your four-and-a-half-year-old is very, very unlikely to end
up as one of the world's last three film photographers. IF he takes a
long-term interest in photography, that photography will be digital. So
why not start him off that way?

What camera? Obviously I'm biased, but I think one of the simply, water
resistant Olympus cameras would be a good idea. They're small enough to
be handled easily by a kid, but big enough to not be instantly
destroyed. Also, I've noticed that the simpler Oly point-and-shoots have
outstanding built-in flash capability.

Finally, I would initially set the camera on auto-everything for him,
and try to get him to leave the settings alone. At some point he'll be
ready to move on, but I'd start with KISS and see if he gets hooked on
seeing and capturing images.

B. D.