Subject: [Leica] Series VII Kodak Lens Hood
From: sdp35 at cwazy.co.uk (Craig Zeni)
Date: Sun Apr 17 18:32:23 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Having been perusing books on old Hasselblad stuff I'd noticed the
> Kodak
> lenses and I kind of liked the design of the lens hoods.
> In Vancouver BC last week I got this Series VII Kodak Lens Hood for
> five
> bucks which sure looked like the same thing design wise.
> It sure cleaned up will with Aluminum comet type cleanser.
>     But then so would anything.
> The series VII I see is referring to the gap in the hood between the
> lens
> and the hood inside the threads where a thread less Series VII filter
> would
> fit.
>
> My question is on the threads themselves.
> Because I'd like to put this hood to use.
> Not with my Hasselblads but with something else.
>
> The treads are not Series VII because there is no such thing as series
> VII
> threads I don't think.
> The treads appear to be bigger than 55 but smaller than 58 as I try to
> put
> this thing on various lenses.
>
> I'd like to get an adaptor so I could use it with my 58 or even 55mm
> filter
> sized lenses. Like old Nikon AI's or something like that. Or old view
> camera
> lenses. Leica lenses even.
>
> Does anyone know what it is?

I'm pretty certain that Series VII is also the thread designation,
though I have no clue as to what the thread diameter or thread pitch
actually is.  My Koni-Omega lenses all have Series filters - nothing
else quite fits.  On the 90mm lens (Series VI if I recall) a common
trick is to remove a piece of the lens front.  The thread revealed is a
49mm.  But I managed to find a bunch of series retaining rings at the
local camera shop for a couple of bucks each...they all fit of course
which leads me to conclude that 'Series VI' also names the thread
diameter and pitch.

Craig Zeni
Cary, NC