Subject: [Leica] leica branded lenses
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Aug 26 08:28:06 2005

Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@planet.nl> wrote:

> I know that Canon and Nikon do not want it, since they prefer people to
> buy their glass from them; but on the Miranda Canon forum there is a
> very lively trade in Leica R lenses and Stephen's and other adapters to
> use them on the Canon bodies. So clearly there is at least some level of
> interest among the users for Leica glass on Canon bodies, and I am sure
> that if it were possible to mount them on Nikon bodies, there would be
> interest in that camp as well.

Nathan, a Leica lens dedicated to the EOS mount would be limited to use on
the Canon.  If Leica were to pursue this market there would be two choices:
Electronic compatability, or manual operation.

In the first case Canon could make a minor change in the camera body
electronics to "break" compatability with the lens' electronics, rendering
the lens a very expensive paperweight unless all you wanted to use is an
older EOS body before the tweak.  Canon has done this to third-party lenses.

In the second case, fully manual operation, a lens dedicated to the Canon
EOS mount would be less flexible because it couldn't be used on a Leica-R
body, and no more useful on a Canon body than the R-lens plus adapter.

Ditto for the Nikon mount.  This really has been beaten to death.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] leica branded lenses)