Subject: [Leica] 50 mm lenses
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Wed May 24 20:18:08 2006

Don Dory writes in part:

> Greg,
> Your lens lies beyond the serial number range for the thorium
> glass lenses.

Don,

I've seen the Serial Numbers for the Lak9 Summicrons extend to 104XXXX. I
believe you may be confusing the Summicron serial numbers with the Crown
glass that Leica obtained from a British glass supplier. Most of these lens
were Summicrons in Summitar clothing.
The 104XXXX lenses were made in 1952. 1953 was the first year that Leica
advertised 'rare earth' Summicrons.

Best way to confirm whether a particular lens is hot or not is with a Geiger
Counter. Something I don't happen to keep handy. However, if your yellow
glass Summicron imparts a warmer cast when shooting slide film it is most
likely a rear earth lens. Otherwise it is most likely the result of decaying
balsa glue. I'll ask number 1 daughter to check if her high school physics
lab has a Geiger Counter.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] 50 mm lenses)