Subject: [Leica] Harvard tuition
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Aug 31 17:39:15 2006

At 08:11 PM 8/31/2006, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Don, I must agree that you have posted all GOOD
>reasons to send your kid to Harvard.....  Mine
>may not have been good reasons, but
>to launch a kid into a career, he needs an
>edge.  Name brand schools provide that
>edge.  The fact that he gets a good education,
>well, he can get a good education at Podunk U as
>well..... It is what the kid does with the challenges that count.

Frank

I was graduated from Washington & Lee
University.  While there, I met one future US
Senator, a future US Representative, and a bunch
of future judges, along with my best friend of
that time, now the Assistant Secretary of the
Army for Civil Engineering. None of these
connections have ever done me a bit of good,
though that is mainly due to my own failure to play them for any benefit.

One reason to attend a top-ranked school is to
make contacts which you can then use to advance your career.

(I later attended Yale Graduate School in
Classical Languages where, out of my nine
classmates, two went on to become Classics
Professors in tenure-track positions.  I then
went to William & May Law School, where three
classmates became Commonwealth's Attorneys and
one a mover-and-shaker in the Virginia House of
Delegates.  I did better in my attendance at the
Defense Information School at Uncle Ben's Rest
Home:  three of my classmates ended up as
Editors-in-Chief or whatever the title might have
been for smaller newspapers and two ended up as
senior flacks for Fortune 500 companies.)

I haven't much ability to use these contacts
other than to urge things such as adoption of the
Fair Tax, but, still, I have them.  Others more
skilled than I in the art of begging for jobs
could have done far better than I did at padding
their own next, and many have done so.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!