Subject: [Leica] Neopan 1600 (was Leica M8 does a wedding)
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Oct 8 13:48:51 2006

Chris:  At what "ISO" are you shooting the Neopan 1600.?  Do you know what
developer your lab uses?  The grain is quite reasonable, and you've got a
nice tonal range, too.

"Panda," a highly-regarded B&W lab in Seattle, recommends shooting Neopan
1600 at about 800 when possible.  I think they use the old standby D-76
1:1.   Better tonal range, they say.  That leads to the question of whether
shooting Neopan 1600 at 800 is any better than shooting Tri-X at 800.

I've only used Neopan 1600 at 1600 for very dark situations.  My take is
that it works beautifully at 1600 *if* developed properly.  But don't ever
overexpose it, and be prepared for high contrast.  I've never used it for
general purposes, "pulled" down to 800 or thereabouts.  I probably will
soon, as I've got a couple of rolls I need to shoot soon.

A couple of examples.  Here's Neopan at 1600, when there was a real "need
for speed:"
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/02David.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/03RachelDavid.htm

Why you gotta be *very* careful about exposure at 1600.  The overhead
lighting fooled me:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicians/18ClarTrioWeb2.jpg

Anybody else who uses Neopan 1600, feel free to chime in.  (Hello, Daniel
of the Fading Nordic Light!)  :-)

--Peter

Chris Williams posted:

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re: Neopan 1600)