Subject: [Leica] Lightroom questions for Wade (and others, if you know)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Mar 3 02:45:57 2007

As I stated in my previous message, I really like Lightroom. I have
been using it this week on my laptop, and I am very pleased with the
workflow and the results. I do have a few questions, which are not
completely clearly answered in the manual (and yes, I have actually
read most of the manual!).

The workflow I used is as follows:
- copy the RAW files from the flash card to a folder on the computer
- import the images into Lightroom while converting them to DNG
- make the adjustments in Lightroom as needed
- export the files as TIFF files to a separate folder
- export the files a second time as JPG files for uploading to my web
site

Now for the questions:

1) The DNG files I created--do they include the adjustments I made,
so that when I open in Photoshop later, I will be opening the
adjusted files? Or are they simply the RAW files in DNG format?

2) I assume that the TIFF files I exported include all the
adjustments. Is that correct?

3) What is the relationship between the sharpening in Lightroom, with
its 0-100 scale and the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop with its 0-300 (or
whatever it is) scale and separate controls for Radius and Threshold?

4) Is there a way to rotate an image in Lightroom by an arbitrary
amount? From what I can see there isn't, which is why I opened
Photoshop to edit 3-4 of the Switzerland images that needed to be
rotated by 1 or 0.5 degree.

5) Is it better to use the sidecar files or to have everything
written inside the DNG files, given that the only non-Lightroom
application in which I would currently open the DNG files is
Photoshop? Having everything in the DNG files seems intuitively
simpler, but surely there much some advantage to using the sidecar
files?

TIA,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman