Subject: [Leica] M8 UV/IR Filters
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Mar 12 20:33:59 2007

Mark... the problem is with the Leica corporate or engineering decision to
use no filter in the glass covering the sensor.  It could
have been done, but it was not.

If they come out with an M8+, maybe then the sensor glass will have the IR
cut filter built in, and the filters for that camera will
not be needed......

But make no mistake, without the commitment to the filters being either
purchased, borrowed, given away, or stolen, you are screwed
if you wish to use an M8.  Someplace, somewhere, sometime, you will take the
most important picture, and the color will be off and
there is no way to fix it.  None.

The purchase of the M8, also requires the commitment to the filters.  After
$5K for the camera body, and $2-5K per lens ( New), be
prepared to spend  yet another few hundred to make the thing work as it
should ( could?).  Its chump change in the scheme of
things.....

Frank Filippone, who has no M8, and can not afford one.
red735i@earthlink.net

For me the other more critical issue is any day now we're going to hear
about someone who's got one of the just made M8's. Not dry yet fresh out of
the press.
And they're going to be talking about how there are NO magenta issues.
And who wants to buy his cut off filters? People will probably be giving
them away some having paid big bucks some having paid nothing.

Then the people who are shooting with the cameras with the cut off filters
standing right next to the ones with newer cameras with no need of the
filter are going to feel out of whack. Miffed. Ripped off.
Not so great. And I forgot.

Not to be a pain in the but but I'll place my order order when I start
hearing the news about the cameras with the bugs gone.
Debugged.

Mark Rabiner

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] M8 UV/IR Filters)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 UV/IR Filters)