Subject: [Leica] LEICA IIIF - I NEED SOME HELP
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu Jun 7 11:50:30 2007

Luis,

thank you for the undeserved accolade.

I presume that these were all part of the same roll, even though the subjects
are different.

I think that there are two problems here: (i)the streaking and (ii) the
under-exposure on the right of 07.

I guess that you have already looked at the negs and that they are streaked
too.

Take the lens off and take the bottom off the camera, shine a light (torch or
something) up from underneath. Set the camera to low a low speed and see if
the
shutter runs as you would expect it to and if the shutter closes properly.
With
the torch underneath you should also be able to see any fraying.

Also set the shutter to 1/15th or 1/10th and listen to how it runs. You
should
be able to hear two distinct clicks as the shutter runs. Try it at the speeds
that you were using. You won't be able to here the two sounds but you might
here
any rubbing sounds providing that the speeds weren't too fast.

First the streaking:

If you see fraying, you can either fix it yourself (see Mike Durling's
comments
about glue ) or get it CLA'd and a new curtain if necessary.

Frankly it looks to be too consistent to be fraying. It's too uniform between
the shots; it doesn't change between shots 01 and 07 (a frayed edge might
well
change it's pattern as the fraying is moved by the edges closing)

That suggests to me that it is a processing error or lab accident. I had a
similar experience once and that did turn out to be a lab problem.

(ii) The underexposure.

This looks to me like the sort of thing that you get when you try to change
speed before winding on, rather than after. It can sort itself out.
If it persists CLA. I am assuming that 07 means that it was about a fifth of
the
way into the film. It also looks a bit like what you get when you run out of
film!!

To test both, I suggest the standard LUG remedy (Dr. Cassidy's formula).
Load up
with the same type of film as before, go out and shoot a roll, get it
developed
and see if you get the same problem. A good look at the neg with a loupe will
tell you. Get the developing done somewhere else to remove any problems with
the
 developing kit.

If you see the same fault it isn't developing and it's time for a CLA.

hope that this helps. Contact me off list if you want to.

Peter