Subject: [Leica] Re: IMG: LHSA Rochester
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Oct 16 20:10:42 2007

>Henning: Thanks for being the first on our block to show the
>Rochester goings-on.
>
>I notice that you were shooting at 320 and 640, with EVs of anywhere
>between -1 and -2, inclusive.
>
>Would you share why you picked the particular settings you did? I
>understand that these settings are better than using 1250 or 2500.
>But have you found some "sweet spot" settings for some set of given
>conditions?  Also, lens and f/stop for the indoor shots?
>
>And how on earth did you keep Tuulikki relatively sharp at 1/4 sec???  :-)
>
>Good show!
>
>--Peter

Hi, Peter. Too bad you couldn't make it. It was a good meeting.

Basically I shoot at -2/3EV. The M8 does way better with
underexposure than my Canons, and has seemingly more 'bits' left at
the low end. So I shoot DNG's and just make sure that the highlights
that I might be interested in aren't clipped. I find that I like the
results at 320 and -1 2/3 better than 640 and -2/3. 640 and -2 are
reserved for the very worst. It's nowhere near as clean as the Canon
5D shots, but I don't necessarily like the results less. Detail is
maintained. A lot of the shots at the LHSA were under bad but
changing light conditions, so I didn't necessarily change the
settings for the optimum.

When I took the picture of Tuulikki I don't think any of us were
really sharp :-). It was about midnight in the hotel bar.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design