Subject: [Leica] IMG: Flat Bed Scanner and 35mm Image
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu Nov 15 08:05:50 2007

Gary,

All of my scanners are more than five years old, so I can't comment on the
up-to-date models.  When I set out to digitize my slides and negatives, I
bought a used Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II off *bay.  It has a maximum
resolution of 2430 dpi.  It does a good job with Kodachrome slides, but
can't give quite the resolution of the current Nikon offerings at 4000 dpi.
You can see some examples in the early images in my Cigar Box album in my
LUG gallery.

I have finished with my backlog of 35mm negatives and slides, and was
looking for an inexpensive way to scan 4x5 and 3.5x5 negatives from my late
father-in-law's collection, hence the purchase of the Epson 2450.  I just
began experimenting with it yesterday, so I can't speak beyond the images
that I posted yesterday, except to say that I was pleasantly surprised.  All
of my old slides show some spotting, and require some cleanup in Photoshop,
but the Epson scans that I have done seem to minimize the need for cleanup.
I will reserve further judgment until I have more experience with this
scanner.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA