Subject: [Leica] Trip to India - Suggestions?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Dec 15 19:23:14 2007

I do not quite understand why shift would help....

Starting with some definitions I have learned....
Shift is the movement left to right of the film or the front lens board.
Rise/fall is straight up and down.
Tilt is pointing up or down.
Swing is pointing the lens left to right....relative to the film plane.

I would think to get a good picture of the monuments, from basically ground
level, and to avoid converging verticals, you would move the front LB UP and
keep the LB and the film plane parallel to the object.  This usually
requires some amount of tilt, front and back, and pointing the camera
upwards.

Shift would help if you can only get so far to the right, but your subject
is even farther to the right than you wish,,,,,, and you want correct
non-converging horizontals ( where you see the perspective or vanishing
lines).  Rather than pointing your camera to theo right, which introduces
distortion, you just shift the lens board to the right, keeping the film
plane parallel to the front of your object.

BTW, the Hasselblad FlexBody does rise, fall, and tilt very nicely, and
works with all the normal shuttered Hasselblad lenses......
Or,as you state, a PC lens would work..... "shift" the lens up ( which is
really front rise) and maybe a bit of tilt to fix the converging
verticals...... don't forget your tripod.......!

Maybe the problem is that you use the term "shift" in the sense of moving
the lens in a plane up or down.... and I use it as the definition of moving
the lens right to left?  In which case we are talking about the same
thing......

See.. it is all in the definitions.......I think.....

Of course, there is always the ALPA.......!

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Of course a view camera would be ideal, no question, but it would add a lot
of weight and be very slow to work with.  IME simple shift and a high
vantage point are usually sufficient to get a good image with no lean or
distortion.