Subject: [Leica] Cheaper thrills
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Jan 28 11:34:25 2008

Just returned from a trip to find two packages awaiting me. First was
the 2007 Leica Yearbook. Wow! Contrats to all who participated! What a
great book.

Secondly was my order from Freestyle. Several new 35mm films to try. Or
as I like to call it, cheaper thrills...at least in relation to the
purchase of yet another new DSLR....AKA the expensive thrill (It will be
known as such until the right digital camera comes along, not just the
latest to get nearer to right).

I'm most excited about the Rollie Retro 120...not normally a cheap
thrill but closer to so because it was on special (see URL below).
Especially thrilling was the wooden box in which said film was encased.
Once empty I'll use the case to store my Leica trinkets. The box alone
may be worth the price of admission. I was worried that it might be
cheap laminated hardwood like most of today's
"made-in-China-and-no-longer-Hickory-NC" designer furniture. But it's
solid wood. OK, maybe closer to soft pine than maple but at least the
corners are tongue and groove. It's classy enough to remain out while
entertaining. I may even leave it open with a set of DR eyes -- always a
conversation piece -- or Rollienar in full view.

I understand that the Rollei Retro film is actually APX. We'll see. I
always liked APX. Also Rollei film in a Rolleiflex has a certain
panache, and hopefully a serendipitous covergence.

BTW, anyone looking for 120 film should check out the following.
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=&pid=1000002437

Now it's time for some Pyrotechnics! PMK is the thrill that keeps on
thrilling, at least hopefully for one or more of the new films. I still
have Rodinal for the 120. I need a conservative fall back. At my age I
can only handle so many thrills.  :-)

DaveR

Replies: Reply from octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas) ([Leica] Cheaper thrills)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Cheaper thrills)