Subject: [Leica] Lightroom on 8-core Mac Pro
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue Feb 5 13:33:30 2008

Hi Ken,

All the fast processors are I/O bound and disk I/O is several orders
of magnitude slower than any other storage but magnetic tape or bubble
memory. :)

The rule of thumb is if you want to applications to run faster, first
add memory until you can't add any more and THEN get a faster disk
(with as big of a RAM cache as you can find).

And I agree you are most likely I/O bound though it could be a
threading limit inside your application as 50% sounds suspicious. :(

Regards,
Spencer

Message from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Lightroom on 8-core Mac Pro)
Message from ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] Lightroom on 8-core Mac Pro)