Subject: [Leica] Selling gear
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed Apr 9 13:12:25 2008

Unfortunately Philip I think your paper is an exception rather than the
rule these days.

When I was in college in the early 80's I made my money working as a
stringer for one of the Nashville papers.  They paid me on a per
assignment basis and I generally did 5 to 7 a week.  Not a lot of money,
but it was enough and the experience was great.  I did a paid internship
and went to a staff position before I graduated college.

Now the one remaining newspaper in Nashville wants photos for free..oh
for a photo credit...sorry...and they can re-use them all they want.  I
am a member of the local camera club and at one point the then president
began a thing with this paper where members would do assignments for the
paper for experience and a photo credit...no money...I was furious and
ran for VP of the club and got that practice done away with...to me if
you are good enough to do a shoot for someone then you are good enough
to be paid...period.

We as photographers are seeing the results of "I don't need it done
right...just good enough and I'll fix it in photoshop".  Too many
amateurs are out there who care nothing for making a living from
photography...hell they just do it for fun and if they can get a photo
credit in a  magazine or newspaper that is great!  Whoo hoo!!  They do
not realize that a few years ago the magazine space rate on that image
may have paid for a very nice night on the town or nice weekend
trip......I used to do about 90 percent editorial magazine work...now it
is maybe 10 percent.  I have talked with presidents of photo agencies
and they confirm that is not just me, the market has drastically shifted
and in many areas shrunk or disappeared because of this.

As one person told me a few weeks ago...we have gone from being
craftsmen to being tradesmen....we no longer deliver a thing of
perceived quality, we just deliver a computer file and that to many is
not worth very much.

I am glad to have had my time in the business in the late 80's-early
90's...it was fun then...but now and they way things are??? I am glad to
be mostly out of it.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography