Subject: [Leica] Leica's manufacturing
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:05:44 -0400

Mark - What we've heard is actually opinions from a couple of guys who
have professional  insight into industrial processes that ring true to
this professional as well.  What has to be done to achieve an
acceptable failure rate in released cameras built under different
processes is well known.  (Settling on the acceptable failure rate
isn't easy, either, since the lower the rate the higher the cost of
the camera.)

If Leica has learned from their experience, the M9 will be a solid
return to their traditions.  If not, they might not survive another
black eye.  The failure rate of the purchased cameras will tell the
tale.

At one time "Made in Japan" assured inferior goods, and "Made in
Germany" signified the best.  Now, when I heard the M9 and X1 were
both made in Germany, I cringed.  Japan is the best at releasing high
quality high-tech goods these days.  I never give the reliability of
Nikon, Olympus or Panasonic cameras a second thought when buying one.

Regards,

Dick