Subject: [Leica] moving away from my M8
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:07:18 +0100

Hi Neal,
I am finding almost the opposite.
Last year we were in Salzburg for the summer, and last month we were in
Washington to celebrate my 60th birthday with friends and relatives.
Last year I took my M8.2 and a Olympus E-P1, this year I had changed to M9
and E-P2 (for the viewfinder). I found I used the Leica almost all the time.
With the E-P1 and Leica lenses I found manual focus and framing with the
monitor screen on the back to give much poorer results than the M8, and the
controls and ergonomics of the Oly are not as intuitive as the Leica (to me).
Last month I also found the Leica got much more use than the Olympus. Unless
I wanted the reach (I had the 14-140 panasonic zoom with me) I found there
was nothing about the Olympus which made me want to use it in place of the
Leica.
When I got home I was glad I had used the M9 for almost everything since the
quality difference is marked.
Just IME.
Frank