Subject: [Leica] EBay Paypal sting - off topic
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:36:38 -0700

Hi Luggers
Since some of you, perhaps many, buy things from and sell things on
Ebay and use Paypal. I thought you might benefit from my cautionary
tale.
Over the last two years I have been liquidating my model train
collection and selling the occasional unused lens (some Leica - to
slip back on topic).
In just under 100 transactions and over $16,000 in sales I have not
had a problem until now. In early August I sold an N gauge model train
to a buyer in the south of France. He elected to have cheap sea
shipment as the engine wasn't very expensive, paid his money to Paypal
and I shipped the train, including a Canada Post tracking on August 5.
By August 19 the tracking number didn't show any movement from the
post office and the buyer put a hold on his funds. On August 24 the
tracking picked up again and showed the parcel had left Canada. I
asked the buyer to release the hold and he said he would after the
goods arrived - not cricket but what can one do? On Sept 6 he advanced
the hold to a claim. I gave all the info I had to Paypal, including a
scan of the Post Office receipt and on September 9, despite the
information about the length of time a sea shipment could take, they
reversed the funds in my account and gave him his money back! So, in
the next weeks he will receive his train for free and I have very
little recourse because I only get 10 days to dispute the pay back and
the only proof I can give is delivery of the package which may not
have happened in that time. I have complained loudly to Paypal (IN
CAPITALS) and they have answered with anodyne lawyer approved boiler
plate.
To add insult to injury the buyer has left me negative feedback for
non delivery and there goes my 100% positive rating! That hurts more
than the money!
So, some words to the wise. Don't deal with anyone who uses a hotmail
address. Don't deal with anyone with several neutral ratings (funny he
didn't have any negatives in nearly 600 transactions but several
neutrals with complaints) and take out your money for every
transaction as soon as it is deposited. Paypal is not the seller's
friend.
Older (day by day) and wiser (only once in awhile).
With regret,
Howard

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] EBay Paypal sting - off topic)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] EBay Paypal sting - off topic)