Subject: [Leica] Anyone using Drobo
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:41:48 -0400

2010-09-15-09:28:22 A. Lal:
> The info on ReadyNAS FAQ page is quite reassuring. A point in the
> ReadyNAS' favour is that it can run slimserver - very useful if one
> is interested in ripping CDs and storing them on a NAS for playback
> via a Squeezebox.

The current, Intel-CPU generation of ReadyNASsen presumably have more
available horsepower, but I found that with an earlier (SPARC-based?)
ReadyNAS that running Slimserver on a separate Ubuntu server I have
other reasons to keep running, using the NAS purely as file storage,
resulted in snappier user interface response for my Slim clients.

I've just kept with that, running the current Squeezebox Server on a
quad-core Core2 box whose second gig-ether interface is direct-wired
to the second gig-ether interface of the ReadyNAS Pro, whereby they
share their own private subnetwork to share the music tree.  I remain
entirely satisfied with how that performs. :-)

Oh, and since the ports are auto-whatever, you don't even need a
crossover cable.

But the on-NAS Squeezebox Server is definitely worth trying.  One less
box sucking power, and it's probably snappier on the new boxes.

BTW, if you're a fan of Slim music clients, I commend the Squeezebox
Touch to your attention.  While I remain baffled by its user interface
when trying to control it via the remote (not sure whether it's buggy,
or just so dissimilar to the classic Slim clients that it confuses
me), it's a fine thing sonically.  Pretty darned decent via the analog
outputs, more like flat-out excellent as a digital transport, and
supports 24/96 at a bargain price compared to the likes of the
Transporter.

> Which model ReadyNAS do you have, BTW?

We're now using a ReadyNAS Pro (six drives, configured with sufficient
redundancy to theoretically survive two simultaneous drive failures).
In addition to offering lots of space and presumably more failure
resistance, it's markedly faster than the ReadyNAS NV (note: not the
current NV+) it replaced - so that shares from the NAS became
not-too-annoying as working storage for some purposes, rather than
just someplace you'd start copying things as a backup, then go get a
cup of coffee or leave it in the background and do something else.

Indeed, my completely instrumentation-free, seat-of-the-pants
reckoning is that shared space from the Pro as mounted via copper
gig-ethernet on my wife's Mac Mini feels about as fast as the
(laptop-class) local disk in the Mini, or maybe a little faster.

http://www.readynas.com/?cat=24

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from alal at poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Anyone using Drobo)