Subject: [Leica] formerly D700 now photos taken with Leicas
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:20:17 +1030

Hi Ted,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM,  <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I suppose as a pro it depends on whom you shoot for and how long you work
> on
> assignments. ?My main collection of photography images are held by the
> National Archives of Canada... 280,000 images! Plus another 100,000 in the
> National Gallery of Canada, all my work while on documentary assignments
> for
> the National Film Board of Canada.

Absolutely Ted and your comment below about being happy that you are
at the end of your career rather than at the start of it are very
relevant.  Many professional photography jobs today are horrible,
leave the photographer very little time for a life or personal work
even if they "and breath
photography 29 hours a day, 14 days a week".  Seriously.

> The total in the Archives alone is the largest collection by a single
> photographer in the history of this country. Yes I worked as a
> news-photographer, albeit long before digital, but we still hustled our
> butts and dealt with several visually impaired editors. But that never
> stopped us from shooting other things to our liking.

The industry has changed a lot.    Most of the time, if you don't have
a a college degree from an accredited photojournalism course you don't
get hired.  If you shoot to your liking now, not the editor's, most of
the time you get fired.

> As having the time to get it right? Well again that's the difference
> between
> someone who's a real pro and not an electronic button pusher who really
> doesn't need to know a hell of a lot about photography! Simply because the
> innards of his electro capturing machine does it all !

In current entry-level jobs, whoever gets in first, gets their work
out, to some extent irrespective of quality.  If you wait to get
things right, your work doesn't get used and you get paid less or not
at all.  Acknowledged names are immune to many of the facts that
photographers starting out face.

> An interesting subject, however I can honestly say at this point in the
> history of photography I must say I'm glad I'm not at the beginning of my
> career, but rathere the end! A couple more books and it'll be a rap! :-)

I agree, this is not a golden age.  And the industry as it is, isn't for me.

(Dr) Marty

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] D700)
Message from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil) ([Leica] formerly D700 now photos taken with Leicas)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] formerly D700 now photos taken with Leicas)