Subject: [Leica] War Photographers
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:26:11 -0500

No need to feel guilty!  We are glad you ran away to live another day and
are here with us and your family.  My take on all of those war photos was
the futility of it all.  We think each war will be the war to end all wars
and it never is.  Of course there has to be resistance to dictators and
tyrants, but so many wars are fought for money - or what equates to money -
oil, water, land, power.  After all of these years, you would think we
would have learned the difference.  No.

Tina

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM, <tedgrant at shaw.ca> wrote:

> A first time confession.......... "I ran away from it and came home!" :-(
> Never told that openly before! :-( :-( I was 41, a husband and 4 children
> all came pouring in! And "I ran away!" My guilt trip has always been and is
> to this day, I'm near sick telling this part of my career! "I ran away when
> so many who couldn't, died!"
>
> Being a war photographer?????????? NEVER!! No matter all the "good glory
> stories Hollywood produces" And whatever glory stories written about the so
> called "Exciting times !" It' all bullshit!
>
> This is the first time I have openly offered this side of my photo life
> other than to a few friends who had been there and understand. I realize we
> have many American folks on the LUG family who were there. And I know they
> will understand. NEVER AGAIN! :-(
>
> Dr. ted :-(
>

> --
Tina Manley, ASMP