Subject: [Leica] War Photographers
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:47:53 -0800

Being a "War Photographer!"

WOW exciting can't wait to go!!!!!" Idiots who think like this will learn it
isn't like the Hollywood movies and some of the "fun read while in safe
areas!" Or may die?
I  unfortunately fell inline thinking being a "War Photographer" was neat!
:-( I swallowed the stories from WW2 about the few big names from there and
a few later conflicts. I was a trained officer in the Canadian Reserve Army
as a "Zipperhead." A reference of those in the Armored Corp, Tanks, Armored
Cars etc. So I had some idea of the sounds and smells from weapons in
action.  BUT NOT BEING SHOT AT!!!!!!

My first war was 1967 Mid-East 6 Day War... Basically a no brainer compared
to the absolutely killings of the past several years and today.

If one is going to their first war...... "ONE SHOULD NEVER GO IF YOU HAVEN'T
BEEN!" Oh I know there'll be challenges about that comment! "If one is
determined to go they should go with the Israelis' ! It starts on Monday and
over by Saturday and you're on a plane heading home on Sunday!"

But if you haven't been to any and commenting only from reading the stories
we've just seen and or read about the "Big Name Shooters" during the past 10
years, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. or before then? Don't tell me somebody has to
do it! And you feel it's something you'd be just fine and can hardly wait to
get wherever a war might be going on as it needs to be shown!

Trust me the first few days, if yer lucky and you can time zone acclimatize
for one thing before things are going bang bang... whizzz, whizzz all around
you. Or something goes really loud bang and you don't hear anything much for
the next three days.... then sounds begin to slightly return, only to slowly
find out you're going deaf simply because you were taking pictures and not
putting your fingers in your ears before the "BIG GUNS FIRED A SALVO RIGHT
BESIDE YOU!" Like nobody said... "Hey cover your ears we're about to start
firing!" OOPS!!! :-(

Well 1967 wasn't bad, I believe only two photographers? I had befriended,
Paul Shutzer of LIFE on the first day I was in Tel Aviv. But he was killed
the first night of battle. Yeah the half track he was photographing from
took a direct hit and all died. The reporter he was working with was in a
different half track and survived. Paul's cameras were recovered I believe a
week later? And the film was eventually developed and OK with his very last
pictures..

The second photographer, an Israeli, Ben Oyserman was shooting TV footage on
contract for the Canadian CBCTV and stills for his local Tel Aviv newspaper.
How close can one get to being killed? Mine?

I was about to go with Ben in his car and follow Israeli soldiers toward El
Arish to the south. However my reporter had another location to the north,
so I went with him instead of Ben.

Arriving back in Tel Aviv late that evening. Apparently, the Ben tour came
across a road block, the soldiers began to move it as Ben was filming their
actions and.... "BOOM!!!!!!!!" 7 DEAD SOLDIERS AND ONE DEAD PHOTOGRAPHER! I
saw his Nikon that had been hanging around his neck.....it was riddled and
ripped with shrapnel fragments into his chest and head! Me?

I cried because we had become very good friends in a couple of days, buddies
in arms so to speak. Then the other side came pouring in! "I HAD BEEN
GETTING IN HIS CAR AND PROBABLY WOULD BE DEAD ALSO!" If not for the luck of
the reporter taking me elsewhere! My wife would be a widow with four
children to continue looking after!

Got home like I'd just been away on some simple assignment.  Yep Ben's
situation and nearly mine? Oh it comes back once in awhile. But even that
didn't stop me from going to Viet Nam the next year, 1968....
"HELL PHOTOGRAPHERS ARE SO STUPID AT TIMES THEY NEVER LEARN UNTIL THEY'RE
DEAD!"

I wasn't there very long before it became quite apparent "this was a place
to get killed very quickly if you stayed around!" That was after one outing
into a battle situation! The 6 Day War? Compared to there? 1967 was a piece
of cake considering the amount of weapons firing encountered in 1968.

A first time confession.......... "I ran away from it and came home!" :-(
Never told that openly before! :-( :-( I was 41, a husband and 4 children
all came pouring in! And "I ran away!" My guilt trip has always been and is
to this day, I'm near sick telling this part of my career! "I ran away when
so many who couldn't, died!"

Being a war photographer?????????? NEVER!! No matter all the "good glory
stories Hollywood produces" And whatever glory stories written about the so
called "Exciting times !" It' all bullshit!

This is the first time I have openly offered this side of my photo life
other than to a few friends who had been there and understand. I realize we
have many American folks on the LUG family who were there. And I know they
will understand. NEVER AGAIN! :-(

Dr. ted :-(

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] War Photographers)
Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Hock Yee Chan) ([Leica] War Photographers)