Subject: [Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: DoesScreeningSaveLives?: Scientific American And a bit more to think about
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:53:39 -0800
References: <648443990.984896.1328723469087.JavaMail.root@sz0090a.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net><C0EB1A36-8041-4282-8B53-B1D1BD48C992@gmail.com><BLU139-DS14B7689A4CF81AA94AAD11B87B0@phx.gbl><984A53A3-C7B4-438A-ACD3-174FCFF20568@gmail.com><CAFfkXxvsxocYs_Wygu0p4yj6Kb1WrneY3ZmVxT_OFbF3ghj-Ag@mail.gmail.com><CF785EE6-371F-46AD-80AD-40297DE8FADE@gmail.com><BLU139-DS14C64566F5835689AF928CB87B0@phx.gbl> <CAFfkXxvgQW1XrDW-s3hD+ojS2g=ATMQT6VzUsgUhp+kgiem0-g@mail.gmail.com> <BLU139-DS146098C1AD49653EAEC177B8780@phx.gbl>

On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Aram Langhans wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Sonny.  I wonder what the per/year outlay for Apollo
> was, as you give the /year for NCI.  There is no question that more could
> be spent on cancer research, let alone treatment.
>
> I take one exception to using the Apollo as a comparison for the search
> for a cure for cancer.  Landing a man on the moon was a great
> technological feat, but it required not much new in the way of basic
> science.  F=ma is the basic science and has been known since Newton.
> Protect the occupants and supply sufficient force and you are on your way.
>  Even the astronauts gave tribute to this in their voyage.  "I think Isaac
> Newton is doing most of the driving now." (? Bills Anders, Apollo 8
> Commander)  I do not mean to slight the efforts of all the people involved
> in program, and we owe much to the program for giving us the things we
> enjoy today.  The space program has been the thrust of most of our
> technology advances (along with the military) and even medical technology
> advances.  I was and remain a huge fan of NASA.
>
> But there is a lot of basic science about cancer we do not understand.
> Cancer is a genetic disease, and even with the Human Genome Project, there
> is a lot we do not know.  I have worked at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer
> Research Center in Seattle on and off for the last 15 years as a teacher
> of teachers.  It is amazing the work that is done there, and how many
> unanswered questions remain.

yup, and with so much to know, so much to learn, so many questions  that
remain, it's easier to just go with your gut, belief systems are such time
savers, perhaps that is why many now take their beliefs for reality.

Steve

In reply to: Message from john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does Screening Save Lives?: Scientific American)
Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does Screening Save Lives?: Scientific American)
Message from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] OT (very) The Great Prostate Debate: Does ScreeningSave Lives?: Scientific American)