Subject: [Leica] FS: ER Bill Sales: Leica M, XPan, 4/3, Please Read
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 00:08:05 +0200

My daughter was born in Princeton in 1994. The total bill was around
$10,000. We are talking about a totally uncomplicated vaginal delivery, with
just one night in the hospital. Fortunately, most of it was covered by
insurance--I was working for AT&T back then, and in those days we still had
the traditional, gold-plated health insurance. However, legally the patient
is still responsible if something goes wrong with the insurance. In our
case, the anesthesiologist's office had misspelled my last name (not
uncommon...) and so the insurance refused their bill of $700. It took 10
months to resolve this little issue, with me receiving more and more
threatening letters from the hospital. But at that point I knew that we
would be moving to Belgium within a few months, so I did not care. In the
end, things were fixed just before we left the US.

Having experienced the health care systems in 6 countries in my adult life,
I have to conclude that the US one is deeply dysfunctional, despite the
world-beating excellence of its doctors, hospitals and drug companies.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain