Subject: [Leica] Leica M240
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:31:06 -0700

I would say that that major improvement in the new M is the speed. I never
have to wait for the camera, as I do with the M9. If I do single shots,
which is 99% of the time, I really can't outshoot it, whereas the M9 often
required me to wait 30 seconds until the buffer cleared, which is a long
time. Reviewing shots is also much faster.

I generally leave the camera on, and then it is essentially 'instant on'
when I bring it up to my eye. Battery drain in that state seems extremely
low, and it's hardly down after a day. As for high ISO, I find that 3200 on
the new camera is better than 1250 on the M9 for colour, but I prefer 1250
on the M9 for B&W. I agree with the shutter; it's quieter and the whole
shutter mechanism sounds like it's been improved.

As a street shooter's camera, the M9 is fine if you are OK with 640 ISO or
maybe 1250 max, and don't take a lot of pictures in a row.

I find the new M a significant upgrade, and certainly much more of an
upgrade than the M9 over the M8.

Henning