Subject: [Leica] Leica M240
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:44:29 -0700

I use fast cards in all the cameras; at the moment class 10 cards seem to be
the optimum as far as price/cost goes. I tried faster cards, but the
difference was miniscule. Class 6 cards are now no less expensive than Class
10, but are definitely slower in various cameras.

I should also mention that I agree with much of what Steve Huff said. I'm
hardly a fan of his and his style, but he has got most things right. To
counter some of his over the top enthusiasm, I should mention a couple of
gripes I have with the new camera.

1. It's too big. It has gotten heavier and a millimeter thicker. Not much,
but bigger again than the film M's. The general excuse is that the
sensor/LCD/control pack needs the additional thickness. Yes it does, but all
that means is that the distance from the lens flange to the LCD has to be
greater than the distance of the lens flange to the back of the film
cameras. Why not have the lens flange more exposed? Have it stick forward a
couple of millimeters and have the camera body the same size as an
M2-6(pre-TTL)? Obviously the larger battery has to go somewhere, but it is
packaged back to back with the SD card, so if it's just the battery, it
could fit in the thickness of an M4. I know it's probably stuffed full, but
let's work a little on miniaturization. Take a look at an RX-1; that has a
body that's a lot smaller than an M2. After all that I have to say that
using it for 30 minutes makes it disappear into your hands, and you notice
neither the thickness nor the weight particularly.

2. Exposure compensation doesn't work well. Now you have to hold in the
button on the front where the rewind lever was on film Leicas, and turn the
thumb wheel, all while holding the camera to your eye. Contortionists in the
crowd? The M9 could do this with just the rear wheel; much easier. For those
that say they never used exposure compensation and they often accidentally
moved the M9 dial, I say why not make this an option. Also make the use of
the movie button an option. I'm not going to use this for movies, so
repurpose it. This should be fixable via firmware.

3. The new shutter release threads, about which I've written before.

4. The electronic viewfinder (I got hold of a used Olympus one) while quite
sharp and with decent colour, is _really_ laggy. A lot different than
essentially the same viewfinder in the Olympus OM-D. It's useable, but
certainly not state of the art. That they should have gotten right, as that
is technology that has been available for a while. I doubt this is fixable
via firmware. However, there is a slight upside to this. It means that for
longer lenses, using magnified view doesn't cause as bad jitters due to lack
of stabilization as with a faster refresh. Of course, that also means that
the refresh for focussing isn't any faster than 30fps.

Regarding image quality, I'm with Steve Huff also. It has amazing quality,
and while different than that of the M9, I would definitely say that the new
M is better. I profile all my cameras with a Colorchecker Passport, so I get
consistent output from all cameras, and I'm not dependent on Adobe's
profiles. The new M handles a much bigger dynamic range, and doesn't produce
nastiness in blown highlights. In fact, highlights seem to roll off as well
as on the Olympus OM-D, and that is high praise. In other respects of course
the M image quality is a lot higher than that of the OM-D. Wide angle lenses
behave better than on the M9, and even the 12mm Cosina is useable again.

Henning