Subject: [Leica] M Monochrom review in PDN
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:28:36 -0700

Agree. My default is to have EV set at -1/3. With some platforms you can set
what pure white is on the in camera histogram. True for the new M240.
Instead of clipping showing at 255/255/255 you can set it for 250 or 253 or
whatever.

There was a big stink about ETTR (expose to the right) awhile ago started by
Michael Riechman and Co.  I understood the logic and math, but many people
started exposing their histograms and highlights were blown. I remember one
fellow who was showing prints with totally blown cloud centers. He thought
his images were fantastic because he had more information to work with
because he had really exposed to the right...

So rarely clip is my working mantra: only with bright reflections
intentionally. Shadows have tons more to recover...

Sent from my iPad