Subject: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"
From: csaganich at gmail.com (CJ andS)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:36:59 -0400

I suppose the two major headings for this issue is digital storage media
and storage retrieval.  The past 30 years has seen much movement in these
two areas and stability of products and services seems dodgy.  From that
perspective the next 30 years might seem difficult to manage regarding
storage and hardware.  However, with the advent of mass public based
storage problem solved from the consumers perspective.  Load it into the
cloud and retrieve it from the cloud with your cloud loading and retrieving
device....and a credit card.  The major corporations will manage the
particulars of technology.  So for my wife who has 10 hard drives chugging
on her desk and 20 in the closet for back-up, perhaps it is a better
solution for the ages.  I suppose trust in corporate management and the
ability to afford to maintain such services becomes the new salient
issues.  Mass corporate data storage may seem like a digital safety deposit
box, but, who gets access and for what price?

The only truly archival methodology for transferring information about
objects whose lifespan can be measured in geological time is oral
tradition. The shoebox is nice, but frankly, they become meaningless
objects without context.  It seems that most mass public data storage is
devoid of context and falls prey to the problems of reductionism.   Unless
there is a living human memory or near equivalent to recreate the whole
from the pieces or to create the context from the parts the shoebox of
negatives and the archived digital file will be nothing but an object to
future generations.  The digital files barely an object at that!  Unlike
that curved iron rod with the flange and handle that was once an essential
tool on the farm but for the life of me I can't imagine what it was used
for but I still use it to scare racoons away from the cat bowl.  I suppose
I can throw a hard drive at the racoon but an icoud account?