Subject: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 16:06:51 -0500

On May 15, 2015, at 3:36 PM, CJ andS wrote:

> The shoebox is nice, but frankly, they become meaningless
> objects without context.

Indeed.
The big archival question is, "who gives a s**t about this one of 50K or
500K or 5000K image files; in your 3 ring binders, or on your drives or in
your cloud, or fire safe, or safe deposit box, or??"

Will my "family" care about my "Art"? or just the photos of people they
recognize? and happen to still be fond of?

Go to an antique store. Who are the people in those photographs in box after
box? Why didn't their "family" want to keep the images?"

who ever said the only archives that are going to make it any distance
through time are:
1) The image maker was quite famous and represented in museums, critical
journals, major collections and such.
2) The image is of a famous celebrity for good or ill.
3) The image is of significant, historical importance and can be recognized
as such.
4) The collection falls into the hands of someone who "gets it" and can see
a way to make a buck.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com