Subject: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:49:05 -0700

George Lottermoser Offered following! :-)
Subject: Re: [Leica] So much for "film is forever"

On May 15, 2015, at 3:36 PM, CJ andS wrote:

> The shoebox is nice, but frankly, they become meaningless
> objects without context.

Indeed.
The big archival question is, "who gives a s**t about this one of 50K or
500K or 5000K image files; in your 3 ring binders, or on your drives or in
your cloud, or fire safe, or safe deposit box, or.?"

Will my "family" care about my "Art"? or just the photos of people they
recognize? and happen to still be fond of?

Go to an antique store. Who are the people in those photographs in box after
box? Why didn't their "family" want to keep the images?"

who ever said the only archives that are going to make it any distance
through time are:
1) The image maker was quite famous and represented in museums, critical
journals, major collections and such.
2) The image is of a famous celebrity for good or ill.
3) The image is of significant, historical importance and can be recognized
as such.
4) The collection falls into the hands of someone who "gets it" and can see
a way to make a buck.

Hi George my good man! :-)
An absolute perfect call if  ever there was!

Love ya guy for calling the shot as it is! Most of the so called collections
people are referring to are meaningless other than to their direct families!
Those who will in the future, do absolutely nothing with these humongous
collections of 1's and 0's or nothing's, no different than those of us with
photo albums of family reaching back pre ww1! Like pre 1914! :-)

Yep we have them in a so called safe place. WHY? Well simply because that's
what we kind of do with family photo albums.  :-) DO WE LOOK AT THEM??????
Not really if poeple are absolutely honest!

AND IT WONT BE ANY DIFFERENT WITH UMPTEEN THOUSAND DIGI 1's & 0's! So get
over it folks, go out and expose more happy snap Friday Flower 1's & 0
images! Have a nice day. ME?

I'm going out on the back deck with a pleasant,  but big GLASS of simply
beautiful refreshing wine and look through a book of something meaningful!
"DOCTOR'S WORK! The Legacy of Sir William Osler!" Quite frankly one of the
best examples of a project all shot in real life B&W un-posed using LEICA
M's & SLR's OF SOME KIND OR OTHER! Oh yeah and all Tri-X --- ASA 800.  :-)

But one of the most wonderful books I ever produced with LEICA M Cameras
using film and all available light! And not one thought of techie stuff
entered the project at any time!  Nothing but? SEE! CLICK!
Many of you have copies purchased in the past. It's been a complete sell out
twice and the publisher isn't unfortunately going to print it for a third
time!

However I have another publisher knocking on the door to publish it as an
e-book. We shall see?

OH yeah and all the images? They're by the thousands in the NATIONAL
ARCHIVES of CANADA 's archival vaults for generations to view in the future!
OH AND WILL THEY STILL BE THERE??? Like who knows OR cares?

But my books produced from them? Will be here until they turn to dust! So
much for all that techie stuff! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted

Regards,