Subject: [Leica] M10 Monochrom oh yes!
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 16:05:07 -0700
References: <0DA54AE1-6238-4C15-9D24-EDC80D418674@mac.com> <CANzMCD97qO=yOLWaUck8NLMZCxuHOpR=y8yS2vsc1=2a6r7Cqg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh6+G+wrFioByYz1gB2+Oo8BTccTyHLCCxnwjBLm0KBung@mail.gmail.com> <C75948A8-1CE1-4124-B006-9DE9940CCB17@mac.com> <CAJ3Pgh433wwmsLvaX4PMyUUzcdhL03wnouygZsJXEdJe9YcVHw@mail.gmail.com> <7BACF9E2-56A7-492B-A6E1-68B92176674F@rabinergroup.com> <CABXy406WWDk-Q-6N9x5joJ-5XCtm+nS-xHwn3E1zyUR68z0hWw@mail.gmail.com> <DB03A5A4-A390-4EF8-A5C0-C63FE4AA4702@rabinergroup.com>

There are many freely available documents on what Bayer sensors are, for
example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

"Demosaicing", in the simplest term, is an interpolation algorithm and has
very little to do with "anything blue in the image has to pass through a
red then green grid layer first."

Here's a description of Foveon sensors, which actually captures blue light
first, then green then red at last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foveon_X3_sensor

Because all three colors are captured at the same location, no
"demosaicing" is necessary with Foveon sensors. In addition, no
"demosaicing" is necessary with monochromatic, or rather, panchromatic
sensors, as each pixels capture light from a wider range of wavelength, not
limited to one "color"

All image sensors in use today have a grid layout. Foveon sensors have
multiple layers to detect light of different wavelengths. Bayer sensors use
separate pixels to capture levels of different wavelengths.

Here's more explanations about different filter array designs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_filter_array

--

Replies: Reply from hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr) ([Leica] M10 Monochrom oh yes!)
Message from jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] M10 Monochrom oh yes!)