Subject: [Leica] OT: Walt and Archosaurs
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Feb 18 16:33:35 2009
References: <D76BFE10-77C5-4F73-9777-3A56A1A2C7B8@paulhardycarter.com> <F55F2D618F85419F8F0E08C77FFA0347@xyw> <B2599997-5AF0-453D-9389-EC99B741925B@comcast.net> <FF6E130CD8394DE1B5A27D88215DBAF1@xyw> <08B82938-D5CA-42D3-9B88-B89D89C5000E@comcast.net> <5A028E1A-7F9D-4A54-8A8C-7BB043DCFC88@mac.com> <854411CA29E84499BD6D9D834E82F51F@Bigguy> <20090216222202.CE54F157ADA@barracuda.rutabaga.org> <188C519A9B8B463C94C59B712369A89C@Bigguy>

At 11:39 AM 2/17/2009, Walt Johnson wrote:
 >Mark
 >
 >Couple of points...I've never seen a flock of Canadian geese but am more
 >than familiar with Canadian tourists. ( Look dear, more Canadians...Where's
 >my shotgun?)
 >
 >As far as birds and dinosaurs go... Everything is related to primordial
 >ooze
 >so archsaurs be dammed, We're all from the early muck. (lawyers too)

First, note the spelling:  I am Marc, not
Mark.  Mark is generally Mark Rabiner.  I am not
Mark Rabiner, though we are friends and I find
him a refreshing and insightful soul.

Second, I had somehow managed to reach 59 years
of age without realizing that the American
Ornithologists' Union frowns on the use of the
term "Canadian Geese".  Here on the Atlantic
seaboard, you would probably find yourself
spending a few days in a rubber room if you
insisted on terming them "Canada Geese".  In
these environs, they are Canadian Geese.  I live
about six or seven miles from one of their major
winter nesting sites, and we have thousands of them in the area right now.

Third, here is the condensed version of the evolution of modern tetrapods.

Basal Tetrapods evolved from fish around the
Carboniferous Era.  These produced amphibians,
which were the advanced life form in the late
Carboniferous and early Permian Eras.

Basal Amniotes either evolved directly from Basal
Tetrapods or amphibians:  the jury is still out
on that one.  Basal Tetapods dominated the mid
Permian.  They in turn evolved into

Anapsids, which were the advanced life form in
the later Permian and early Triassic.  They then
pretty much went away, leaving only turtles and
tortoises, albeit those have been quite
successful both in dominating fringe ecological
niches and in their PR efforts.  After all,
COMCAST uses tortoises as spokes-animals and just
today the Virginia General Assembly, hopeless
deadlocked on killing off a ban on smoking in
restaurants, adopted the Southern Box Turtle as the Official State Reptile.

Synapsids.  These guys evolved in the late
Permian and briefly had a fling as the dominant
terrestrial life form in the mid-Triassic.  They
were then pounded down into fringe ecological
niches for 150 million years by the diapsids but
rebounded in the Paleogene Era to again become
the dominant terrestrial life form.  There were
four broad groupings, one of which, the
Multituburculates, is now extinct, but the other
three of which, the Monotremata, Marsupials, and
Placentals,   Yeah, us humans are synapsids.

Diapsids.  These guys evolved in the Permian but
were fringe players for a couple of dozen million
years until they radically expanded in the
mid-Triassic, dished out the Anapsids and
Synapsids, and ruled the earth for 150 million
years.  They had some groups which are poorly
understood but, in the main, they were divided
into pterosaurs, squamata (lizards and snakes,
and probably including the aquatic mososaur),
plesiosaurs, rhynocephalians (the Tuatara in New
Zealand is the only survivor of these puppies),
champsosaurs, and archosaurs (these include
crocodiles and dinosaurs, of which birds are the
sole survivors).  Today, we have examples of
squamata (lizards and snakes), rhynocephalians
(the Tuatara) and archosaurs (crocodiles and birds).

Note that there properly is not a group called
"reptiles", as this violates cladistic properties
by including animals not directly sharing a
common ancestor.  Anapsids and Diapsids are
distinct groups separately evolved from Basal Amniotes.

And, as a delectable tidbits for the day,
microbats do not like to fly in the rain or snow,
as the precipitation upsets their echolocation.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] OT- A fascinating video)