Subject: [Leica] Apology (sort of) NOW BATTERY USE?
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:00:02 -0600
References: <p06240819c989d91d25af@192.168.1.103><AANLkTik-EjUQmqwDNQGEXpTGvpN=r2ZfAkdpGFtz_R9D@mail.gmail.com><BEEE3B4A-7A1A-4B27-BF99-40C832E17326@btinternet.com><AANLkTi=gPW2rSxNQyg-g98N2zsg=yVDKskVSn7GAt97R@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTikV6+TYvPbT97BwXnJE6Vc=YRX9=WzLhgdbt9s7@mail.gmail.com><37D63A2A12684354B6C03BD541EA8A5E@syneticfeba505><AANLkTim8-9=x9mGCSjbxQiVBZRrDdjoPkAiudmbOR1r8@mail.gmail.com><E74AAB3FD7D644A5B3B399E65E33A7E2@syneticfeba505><5B196B55-54D8-4494-A4FA-C95C4D14770E@sfr.fr><C3C77856E863446694DB572CCAE0B769@syneticfeba505> <p06240800c98b92adbecb@[192.168.1.103]>

Hi Herb,

You aren't the only sinner in the crowd.  I bought my first Leica, a used
LTM IIIa with a 50/3.5 Elmar, in 1952.  Those were the days of Kodachrome
ASA 10, and Plus-X ASA 50.  My IIIa had been fitted with a flashgun and
synchronizer by E. Leitz New York.  I shot quite a few flash shots with this
rig, using large Press 40 and GE 11 bulbs, and a few with the smaller bulbs.
Here are a couple of examples:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/Donna02sm+53.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Cigar+Box/Ready+for+Anything+1958.jpg.html

Note the darker top edge in the second image.  Focal plane shutters were
never meant to be used with flashbulbs!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA