Subject: [Leica] Program to erase a HDD
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:57:12 -0800 (PST)

Yup.? Delete existing partitions, repartition with DIFFERENT settings,
reformat to ext4 or Reiser, and absent a TLA that can work at a molecular
level you're good.

Alternatively, you can disassemble the drive and wreak havoc on the platters
by any means convenient.? I have a giant alnico magnet that came out of an
EKG machine circa the 1940's...? it's HELL on mag media.? (I also have a
disc sander with emery cloth; I think it did reasonably well.....)? It takes
somewhat longer but really even the TLA boys can't decode what physically no
longer exists.? It's how you secure CD's... merely touch one edge of the
disk to the opposite edge of the disk and the entire disk will be erased.

?
R. Clayton McKee
PhotoJournalist
from somewhere just south of somewhere else...

Message from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Program to erase a HDD)
Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Program to erase a HDD)
Message from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest) ([Leica] Program to erase a HDD)